Elder Sawyer is still thriving at the MTC! We have received another handwritten letter as well as emails from him that have totally reassured us that he is on his way to "becoming" his best in the Lord's hands.
What do we know now that we didn't before he last wrote?? Well, we know that it is possible to be dyslexic in more than your native language ;-) In his handwritten letter he said he loves the food at the MTC it just leaves them all with what his district called "fuego y afuerza"--however, in his email he clarified and said that he MEANT to say "fire and brimstone" but actually said "fire and strength"...not quite the same, but I'm sure he'll make a lot more mistakes as he learns the language.
He wrote that he can "pray and testify in Espanol muy bueno": (sorry, no accent marks available on this format)...Quero compartir mi testimonio con tu usted. Yo se que el Libro de Mormon es verdidero. Yo testifica que Jesucristo es mi salvador y unigenito de Dios. Yo se que familias es eterno y yo creo que Jesucristo es nuestras redentor. Yo testifico que el espiacion importante y verdider. Yo testifico en el nombre de Jesuscristo, amen. "
I apologize in advance to anyone who KNOWS I've transcribed this incorrectly. His writing is a little difficult to read and I have no clue how to spell correctly in Spanish so as to correct any possible mis-spelling ;-)
HOWEVER, with all of that said the language of the Spirit is universal, and while I couldn't understand the words as I read many of them in that testimony, I felt the Spirit confirm to me in a powerful way that what he had said was true--as will many of his investigators I'm sure.
He is enjoying his responsibilities as a district leader and is taking the welfare of the Elders in his district very seriously. He's being challenged and humbled both with the language and expectations of all those around him--but is quick to say "I need it."
He said there are rules, about rules, about rules, in the MTC , he said "so many rules, such little time...but I'm trying to obey with exactness like the 2,000 stripling warriors--good guys." ;-)
He sends his love to family and friends and is of course hungry for letters...and still heralding praises for DearElder.com.
He was pretty excited about an experience a couple of elders had in his district last week. It seems they were discouraged about having difficulty learning the language so they were told to just go out and bear their testimony to other companionships in the halls. They came upon a construction worker doing some work on a new residence hall that's under construction there. They bore their testimonies to him and found out (after the guy breaks down in tears) that he's not a member of the church and is having some really tough times in his life. They were able to send him off to get a Book of Mormon etc. Needless to say, Elder Sawyer said those discouraged elders were feeling a whole lot better about learning the language and preaching the gospel after that experience...non-member working at the MTC in Provo, Utah???...talk about being in the right place at the right time ;-)
We thought we made sure he had all his immunizations before he left...nope...they found 2 more he needed and he got them both in the same arm at the same time--on P-day!
Till next time...
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment